UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

When I press my clutch pedal it just drops to the floor and…

Customer Question
When I press my...

When I press my clutch pedal it just drops to the floor and then doesn't come back up

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

The clutch hasn't been slipping it just happened all of a sudden,

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Its a vauxhall vivaro van year: 2010

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing so far and will try myself as have some knowledge

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thats all

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: UK Car
12/11/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 9 months ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

This is a hydraulic clutch, Sometimes the slave cylinder leaks or the pipe going down from the firewall to the slave cylinder gets a leak in it there where it goes into the slave cylinder, first thing is to check the fluid in it, if it's not full, put some brake fluid in it and see if you can tell where it is leaking from, wherever it is leaking from, is likely the problem with the clutch, if the system has fluid in it and you have no leaks, look up under the dash with a flashlight at the clutch pedal, make sure the rod that is attached to the clutch master cylinder is actually attached to the clutch pedal shaft as well and didn't pop off of the clutch pedal shaft. Check those things first and I believe you will find your problem, it's unlikely that the clutch pressure plate failed and caused this problem, but if you don't see anything at fault with what I've mentioned, then the vehicle may have to have a new clutch and pressure plate, but what is most likely is there is a hydraulic leak somewhere or the clutch rod came off at the clutch pedal shaft. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you!