UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Electric windows don't want to go up or down. Don't know…

Customer Question
Electric windows don't want...

Electric windows don't want to go up or down

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses?

Don't know where under the steering or by the battery

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2006 1950 diesel gt

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your GT yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just look at the switches in the door panel

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How do i lift the window up manly

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 day by:
12/10/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are a few things that could be going on and it will require some electrical testing to determine exactly what is wrong. If you lost control of all windows at exactly the same time then the most likely causes would be the master switch or a wiring issue. It's not uncommon for wiring in the harness between the door and body to break due to flexing each time a door is opened and closed. If a power or ground to the master switch has broken in the harness between the driver's door and body it will cause a loss of all windows at the same time.

There isn't a way to manually move a power window but you could remove the door panel on a door that you need to raise a window and then use jumper wires to apply power and ground to the motor.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.