UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Hy, So my car is not getting any fuel from my tank to the…

Customer Question
Hy peter, So my car is...
Hy peter,
So my car is not getting any fuel from my tank to the High pressure pump for the second time.
What we checked the first time:
Checked if the pump was getting power. We had +- 12V
Disconnected the fuel hose on the high pressure pump there was no pressure on the fuel line.
Bypassed the fuel pump with an external pump after that the engine worked perfectly.- I replaced the fuel pomp in the tank. Have been driving with the new pump for 4 monthsNow yesterday I was driving with my car for more then 70km. Have stopped a few times to go shopping. The last time I wanted to start my car the starter turns but the engine is not starting. It was not getting any fuel the same happend the first time.
Checked the power and disconnected the fuel hose on the high pressure pump again no fuel or pressure was pressend.So the pump in the tank is defect again.
Only I find it strange that the pump fails again so fast.Kindley regards
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Car
12/6/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 7 months ago
Peter Zavarelli

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

It can be common in some cases for a pump to fail pre maturely.I have seen this several times before with either a cheaper brand pump or just the pump itself being weak and defective out of the box causing this issue to where it fails shortly after install.

As long as your power and ground are o.k. at the pump and there is no debris in the fuel tank that would have caused it to fail so soon it sounds like it failed pre maturely needing replaced.If there is a fuel filter inline from the pump to the engine if this is blocked or partially restricted it will cause fuel pump premature failure as well causing this issue here.

I would speak with the facility you had received it from to see if they will parts warranty it for you.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

The pump was replaced by an original volvo pump. the fuel filter was replaced 20000km ago so would find it strange if it was blocked. But I can check it any way.
The facility has been notified I am awaiting the respons from themthanks
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 7 months ago

O.k., it is very possible if you have no debris in the tank that would have caused the pump to fail so soon that the pump just failed prematurely needing replaced again under parts warranty as most will warranty for a year.

If you have the correct power and ground to the pump with no wiring or connection issues but the pump is not putting out any fuel it has failed prematurely.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?