UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a problem with 2004 Cayenne. To make easier i will…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a problem with...
I have a problem with 2004 Cayenne. To make easier i will copy & paste founded part of Yours guide which I've already checked.Quotation:porscheguru : There is a reset under the driver's seat. BUT some have a pyrotechnic switch. You still not know unless you physically look. So with that, is your car left hand drive? The switch will be I believe a yellow button.
porscheguru : I am away from my pc right now and if you are having any difficulty finding it I can look for detailed instructions when I get back at my pc.
porscheguru : But maybe we can get you going now
Customer:
Hello - as I tell in my question I have reset this fuse - yellow button under driver seat - my car is left hand drive OH-654
porscheguru : Hi Svavar, were you able to see a yellow button under the seat area where you looked at the fuses? Not a fuse but a button?
porscheguru : You pushed the button all the way in?
Customer:
hi - yes I see the button and signal on it - also measure voltage over it -it is working - other ideas ?
porscheguru : The car will not start?
Customer:
Yes car is not starting at all .
porscheguru : Do you have access to a scan ? Does the engine crank?
Customer:
what is a scan ? - engine is not move at all as I am trying to explain for you - starter is not turning at all .
porscheguru : A scan to to check for faults inn the computer? But I also would like to review my wiring diagrams for you.
Customer:
I do not have scan -
porscheguru : Can you give me some time so I can get back to my pc and review the diagrams?
porscheguru : Since a scan tool is not available
Customer:
ok
porscheguru : And you confirmed power is going through the yellow switch. So I need to look at a diagram for you
porscheguru : Ok. I will save this chat and enter when I have more info. It could be more than an hour.
Customer:
yes I measure voltage on both sides of yellow button -
porscheguru : Ok good info and I will get back to you later
porscheguru :
OK, I just got back. Let me see if I have a detailed decription of the reset switch
porscheguru :
Did you have the seat flopped back when you were accessing the yellow button? There are also several "fusible links" in the CE box that can become interupted. Have these been checked for power going through them? They are available as separte parts.
porscheguru :
To confirm if this "reset" switch is now reset, can you check for power in the engine compartment "jump start" connection? If this reset is still open, there will not be power at that connection.
porscheguru :
I will continue to investigate and will be here when you return to chat. But I need to know if the jump start connection on the left side of the engine compartment under the cover that pops off has power.
Customer:
hello - I have check all fuses and there is power on jump start pin -
porscheguru :
If there is power on the jump start pin, it is something else besides the reset button. This was a light hit in the front correct? Does the ignition lock CLICK when you insert the key in the ignition switch?
Customer:
yes all seems to be right when i put key in ignition switch - but there is no click when turn the key for start .
porscheguru :
OK, I understand but I am making sure that the key is correct. it happens more than you think but you do hear a definitive CLICK from the steering column when the key is inserted into the ignition switch?
Customer:
yes
porscheguru :
OK, good. Can you help me check the starter relay or was this at least checked?
Customer:
start rely - where is it located ?
porscheguru :
The starter relay is relay 20 in the engine compartment fuse/relay box. Let me find you a chart
porscheguru :
http://bit.ly/Wl0NG9
porscheguru :
This is a link to my online storage and I have circled the starter relay in the engine compartment E box
porscheguru :
download and save with the button on the upper right
porscheguru :
If we jump terminals 30 and 87 and the starter spins, then the starter is good and it is either the relay or before the relay
porscheguru :
Starters have been known to fail because of the coolant that leaks in the valley of the engine from the plastic coolant pipes.
porscheguru :
But it is NOT the reset button because if the reset button were causing the problem, we would not have power at the jump start terminal in the engine compartment
porscheguru :
have you found the starter relay?
porscheguru :
Have you checked any of the fuses in the left and right fuse boxes?ENDAnd now few more iformations from me:
- before starter removal engine cranks, i replace starter to new and nothing :(
- My car had just one battery, just under drivers seat
- starter is brand new/working, coolant lines are aluminium
- when i jump terminals 30 & 87 starter spins
- gotta check tommorow passangers side fuse boxAlso want to know how to properly test starter relay (found same under drivers seat) and where I should look also? :(
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Car
12/5/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Jake, Auto Body Repairer replied 7 months ago
Jake
Jake, Auto Body Repairer
Hey there, I see the long correspondence you posted and I read a little bit of it, but what exactly is YOUR issue first?
Everything started with coolant pipies upgrade in my 2004 Cayenne. When finished and want start engine car cranks 3 times and starter died. Mechanic repaired starter, install it back and - nothing - engine won't crank. As I've wrote - I'm sure starter it's okay beacause when I jump terminals 30 & 87 in fuse box under the hood engine cranks.
I'm looking for someone to help me find out what can be wrong and finally make my car start
Thanks, ***** ***** any warnings on the display when attempting to start it? Like press brake? Steering faulty? Or anything like that?
I have warning „air suspension Faulty” message. When attempting to start „press brake” displays only when i Do not push brake pedal, if pushed this information didn’t come. As additional information I will tell You that the car was parked outside my house for almost one year and not driven. Before this time wife didn’t tell me anything about warnings on dash or not properly working air suspension
Also when pushing stop pedal when ready to start I can clearly hear relay or something clicks
Thanks, ***** ***** air suspension fault won’t affect the starting circuit.The clicking you hear when pressing the brake is the shift lock releasing. So it’s safe to say there is NOT a brake signal issue.