Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli,
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I just bought a 2002 e65 735i, i only has 9,000 km on it.

Customer Question

hi! i just bought a 2002 e65 735i, i only has 9,000 km on it. when i got it, idrive was not working, it just free wheel, but i can still listen to the radio, then, i plug a gscan2 to see what faults i have, after that, i lost my instrument cluster, but speedometer and rpm was still functioning, then a technician told me to hard reset my car by disconnecting the negative from the battery for 8 hours, after that, speedometer and rpm not working anymore, drive side aircon is still works but the passenger side aircon only blows air up the windshield, and i cant get my trunk to go up, oh by the way, when i first got my car, even until now, i hear hissing or static sound coming from the front speakers, and it sometimes go away after driving for a few minutes, sometimes it doesn't, so now, my car is in the dealer right now, my question is, can i just buy a used cluster from ebay and use that instead?? how about idrive? can i just buy a used idrive knob? and about the sound, where is it coming from?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The sound usually comes from a sound amp and this amp can act up and cause the hissing noise issue as well as speaker sound issues with it needing replaced in some cases.

As for the cluster issue, it sounds like either it needs programmed by a dealer or replaced.Usually, you have to go with a new one as it has to be programmed to your vehicle and usually includes programing the mileage to match your vehicle.I don't see a used one being able to be reprogrammed to your model.

As for the heater/ac fault, you may just need to have the dealer recalibrate the actuators to correct this issue as this sometimes has to be done after battery power is disconnected and reconnected.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Pete! about the cluster, i read somewhere about buying a used cluster and swapping the eeprom or memory from my broken cluster to make it work, so would this really work?about the idrive, can i buy a used 1 from ebay and replace my broken idrive?

I haven't tried to swap out the prom in it myself with using a used one but if you have found some info on this being done then you can go that route if you want and have it replaced used to see if it works properly.But unfortunately, I haven't tried that myself.

Usually, if it is just the knob you can replace it used and would be o.k.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete