UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a vauxhall combo petrol van and the heater in yhe cab…

Customer Question
I have a vauxhall...

I have a vauxhall combo petrol van and the heater in yhe cab blows only cold air

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working?

The coolant level is fine, iy does not matter where i turn yhe thermostat contro knob the heat doesnt chamnge

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Cab?

It is 02

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cab yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would like to get it so that it is full on rather than full off if that is possible

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is it likely to be a jammed cable, a faulty control valve or something else preventing the hot water coming in the heater radiator

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: UK Car
12/5/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Hello there,

Sounds like the heat air mix door cable has jumped off at the back of the control panel.

Does the heat knob feel abnormal, loose or binding?

Gary

It feels normal and I can hear the mix flap move

Ok, so no change at all while the engine is running at operating temp.

How hot does the engine run on the temp gauge?

Do both heater hoses get warm at the firewall, and hotter at the engine?

Gary

Driving in town daytime, around 85-90........at night on a chilly evening on dual carriageway around 80

Does it take longer to warm up the engine than normal?

If so I would look at the engine thermostat for possibly stuck open.

I have had one Opel car that had a failed water pump impeller, which the complaint was no heater.

Gary

It does take a longish time to reach 90 degrees, but even then the air in the heater blower is cool.

I would replace the thermostat first and reevaluate.

No Opel normally takes longer than 5 minutes to be at operating temp.

Gary

ok, Gary, I will try changing the thermostat now and get back to you......thanks

I hope that when you pull the thermostat, it is partly or fully open on a cold engine.

That is a dead giveaway.

Change it anyhow once you are there, then see what happens.

I had one stick open on one of my cars years ago, no heater and took forever to warm up.

Gary

Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician