UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just installed a new battery and now my car is idling

Customer Question
I just installed a...

I just installed a new battery and now my car is idling rough and strong exhaust smell

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

Intermittent when I give it gas but consistent when in park

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2004 dodge intrepid 2.7

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Intrepid yourself? What have you tried so far?

I installed the battery myself. my mechanic said it could be that the spark wire might have been bumped lose

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This only started after the battery was installed

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Car
12/2/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

I'd agree that its well worth checking the condition of the ignition coil connections as if its not running on all cylinders it will be rough and have unburnt fuel in the exhaust

Also replace the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist:

https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-ngk/faqs/spark-plug-faqs/how-do-i-read-a-spark-plug

You can also try spraying some water on the coil pack with the engine running. It is possible the coil is faulty and causing the misfire. If you see sparks arcing with the water, then replace the coil.

I'd check the condition of the injector plugs / connections as this could be a lean misfire if an injector isn't firing properly - the best way to check this is with a 'noid' light

http://www.noidlight.com/

Then check all the connections to the engine sensors one at a time, remove each one and examine for signs of corrosion or damage and a squirt of contact cleaner ( not WD40) will also help.

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt