UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Steering locked. Dash...electric fault consumers switched…

Customer Question
Steering locked . Dash...electric...

Steering locked . Dash...electric fault consumers switched off. Car key works it starts and drives. Advises to visit workshop

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?

Never happened before 290340km

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

Cdi 270 model 2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/1/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Lou P, UK Car Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Lou P
Lou P, UK Car Mechanic
Hello my name is***** am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions that would help me better determine how to help you. Keep in mind I have no idea of your technical ability or what you do and do not already know. So the more info you can tell me the better. I have been on the site for almost ten years and have oustanding 5 star ratings so trust that I will do everything I can to get you taken care of, Lou
Does the dash show a red warning of the battery ? Can you upload pictures of the dash warnings?
Ok it sounds like your alternator is failing and the car is losing voltage. You will have to get to a shop asap before the car quits on you .
No expert
The only reason the red battery warning would come on is if the alrernator is not charging, i just realized too that you cannot turn the steering wheel
it will have to be towed.
What do you mean no expert ?.....
Was responding to a question whether there's expert
Ok. So what are your options for the car ? Unless you have a volt meter there is only 1 way to check voltage ln the dash
Since you did have the car washed check the carpet for wetness. Water can cause communication issues inside of the car .