UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Thank you, my galaxy is an 04 1.9 tdi it drives ok until the…

Customer Question
Thank you, ***** *****...

Thank you, ***** ***** is an 04 1.9 tdi it drives ok until the revs hit 3000 rpm then It just loses power.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It is consistent, I have stayed on A roads to counteract the issue but I would like to get to the bottom of it.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '04 Ford?

Galaxy ghia 1.9 tdi, that's all I know.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have seen that some people have cleaned a sensor within the air filter on youtube. I was hoping that that may fix the issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that's it thank you.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Car
11/29/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 8 months ago
Peter Zavarelli

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The sensor you are speaking of is usually the mass air flow sensor or boost pressure sensor.These can become dirty and can cause this issue here.I have also seen where a lack of fuel to the engine will cause this due to a restricted fuel filter or weak pump needing replaced.The other issue I have seen is a restricted exhaust component causing to much back pressure with the exhaust component needing replaced.

I would have the boost pressure sensor cleaned as well as mass air flow sensor cleaned ( if equipped) and if this does not resolve the fault try replacing the fuel filter.If the fault continues then the pump pressure needs tested as well as exhaust back pressure for excessive back pressure due to a resonator/catalytic converter restriction or another exhaust component needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

UK Auto Mechanic: Kevin, UK Car Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic

Hi I'm Kevin I can put a different light on this one . In most cases on the tdi the issue is something called over boost .this is caused when the variable vanes inside turbo stick and cause the boost pressure to get to high . When this happens the engine control system cuts the power until you restart . If you don't rev engine too hard it will never be an issue . The first option is to run a cleaner . There is a product called revive turbo clean that is very good and cheap . If this doesn't cure in most cases a replacement or overhaul of turbo is needed . A quick code scan will confirm this is your issue . It's probrably the single most common failure on the tdi engine