UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The steering on my XC90 is ... odd. In cold weather at start…

Customer Question
The steering on my...

The steering on my XC90 is ... odd. In cold weather at start of day the steering is kinda stuck dead centre and I have to "break" the hold, after which steering is ok. It feels heavy sometimes, like a flat tyre, but not always. If I rev engine to 2000rpm I can turn side to side with 1 finger no problem. It had a new rack about a year ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: When it comes to this particular vehicle, have flat tires been a problem in the past?

Nope, no tyre issues. its 170,000 miles, and service light has just pinged on. I'm guessing the auxiliary belt needs changing?

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your XC90?

2004 (54 plate, UK)

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XC90 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nope, just googling.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Car
11/29/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Pete, Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Pete, Mechanic

I just did a pump and reservior on a07 xc90 for the same problem. By revving the engine the pump is building more pressure to compensate for wear. I have had no luck with rebuilt pumps for these suv's. If you dont use a new one from volvo, you might get lucky with a good used one. One other thing you might try first is to change the fluid I use pentosin 11s. Check the reservior for dirt and debris. There is a screen built into the bottom of the reservior if it dirty it should be replaced.

thank you