UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

08 focus 1.6 - ntermittant 'engine malfunction... reduced…

Customer Question
08 focus 1.6 -...

08 focus 1.6 - ntermittant 'engine malfunction... reduced acceleration... flash code 16 or will not start flash code 16 when i can read codes shows u0001 (can comunication) ioccasionally also u0121 (lost communication with ABS)

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Always cranks at full power havent checked condition though. voltage seems ok when testing at the obd2 socket ~12v ign off <11.8v ign on. i've tested resistance across 6 and 14, usually 60 ohms occasionally 120 ohms.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Voltage pin 4 (earth) to 6 is 2.63v pin 14 to 4 is 2.35v. when in fault voltage is 3.52 at pin 6 and 3.69 at pin 14

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When in fault all warning lamps lit, tacho, temp gauge and speedo at zero and un-responsive, I've tried unplugging /refitting 'c112' (blue handled plug in passenger footwell), all plugs in interior fusebox and plug and 3A violet fuse in engine bay fusebox

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: UK Car
11/29/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 6 months ago
Peter Zavarelli

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If there is an internal fault in the anti-lock brake control unit itself this can cause this fault here and the anti-lock brake control unit would need to be replaced to resolve this issue.I have seen anti-lock brake control units fail in the past before needing replaced.If this was already replaced or checked and found o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

is the ABS ecu mounted on the valve block / pump on the firewall behind the battery? can you tell me what pins to check on it as i assume it has an internal resistor on the can bus and this is what is failing causing the excess signal voltages (and 120ohm resistance) when in fault condition. are there any other plugs / sockets that the twisted pair can bus runs through other than c112 that i could check? could you send me a wiring diagram /layout that shows the complete can bus and the relative position of all the ecus on it that way i could check continuity at each connector. am i right in thinking that the high speed can bus is just 1 twisted pair within the car's wiring harness and all ecus connect in parallel on it?
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 6 months ago

I apologize for the delay as I had to leave in a hurry yesterday and couldn't get back here until now.

Here are the diagrams I show on your model here.If these do not match your wiring let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jm7kqhra3tihpzt/a-11-30.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q604yhxc4o8vwf5/ab-11-30.gif?dl=0

The anti-lock brake unit is located on the hydraulic unit as shown below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nh9oa2g9k5oljnf/abs-11-30.gif?dl=0

Here is a description of the U0121 code.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8e1z93gr4lnmt6/abss-11-30.gif?dl=0

I hope all of this helps.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli