UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Csn you give some advice regards vw polo. It belongs to my…

Customer Question
Please csn you give...

Please csn you give some advice regards ***** ***** It belongs to my daughter and this problem has been going on gor 3months. The pronlem is yhat you will driving the car for no apparent reason the reeves drop to 0 and the engine stops and the battery light comes on . It will start straight away and you can go no regular pattern and tgen it does the same . The car has been to a independent garage not VW firstly because it was out o warrenty. Then it eent to VW for a diognostic test

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?

Those are things i thought the mechanics would automaticaĺy

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

Sorry not too sure i would need to find out

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your VW?

Just trying yo get hold of my dsughter for that info. She gas not been abke to use the xar now forvalmist 3 months. It currently is at a VW service garage and they are telling her the c

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

The gear box needs to come out again to check if some seal was but in correctly

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Please excuse spelling errors keep pressing wrong keys. Firstly they the mechanics said it was a computer error . Did something in that area still doing thevsame thing then it went for diognostis test at WV . They said they would not work on the car because the other service garage had worked kn it went back to them they had thevcar in for a service and tried to work on the same problem . Came vack still same problem . Then it went to an auto electrician they could not pick ip on anything . Was taken away to VW sevice center on a tow truck as it could not be driven and they are want to take the gesr bix out and do this major labour cist still not giving any conclusive reason for what the probkem is

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Car
11/27/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

for the revs to suddenly drop and the engine stop then this sounds like either a lack of battery power or a failed crank speed sensor

This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;
Airflow meter
Crank position sensor
Cam position sensor
O2 sensor
Throttle position sensor

unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

also check the condition of the earth connections between the battery and the chassis and the engine

they must be clean , free of corrosion and tight

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt