UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The abs, stability control and traction control warning

The abs, stability control...

The abs, stability control and traction control warning lights come on in my shogun. Usually it happens at start up or when moving off first thing in morning. After a Mile or so if I switch off and restart they usually go out. But this has been taking progressively longer. The main dealer has looked at it twice, first time a new battery, second time a new wheel abs sensor. Two days ago I put the battery charger on overnight and the lights stayed off on start up and all through the day . Now they are back to coming on. I wonder if there is a high resistance somewhere.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

Only the abs plus the other two ie stability and traction

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

It's a 2011 mitsubishi lwb shogun elegance di-d

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LWB yourself? What have you tried so far?

It went to a main dealer. First time battery was flat so they changed it. Second time they changed a wheel sensor. I have noticed that it seems to relate to state of charge of the battery and so wonder if there is a poor/high resistance in one of the sensor circuits.

11/21/2017
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

If the ABS light is staying on then this would indicate a fault with the system which shouldn't effect the regular braking performance so the car is still safe to drive.

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

However with ABS systems 95% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.

The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.

Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.

you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.

Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.

This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.

Thanks Matt. Just been out to the car. Started it up and the trio of warning lights all went out on start up, but came on when the only thing I touched was the steering wheel after turning it right and then left about half turn in either direction. I was outside the car and it was still in Park mode does this suggest that rather than the wheel sensors the fault is a poor connection from the steering angle Sensor?

Hello

thanks for the extra information, I'd agree that it sounds like the steering angle sensor may be the issue

also it may be necessary to perform a zero point calibration of the steering angle sensor. To do this you need to start the car and turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right 5 or 6 times

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Thanks Matt. The calibration worked. I'm pretty sure that if the problem reoccur it relates to the steering angle sensor. I will get dealer to check over as car is in for a recall next week. Thanks for your help. I have no further questions. Regards, John