UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

Check oil level message comes on when i turn the engine off

on my x5 but it...
check oil level message comes on when i turn the engine off on my x5 but it has the correct amount of oil in it
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: there are no fault codes, but it was run out of oil a few weeks before i got it after the owner had left the dipstick out after checking the oil, and then the message started coming up after that
JA: I'll pass this info along to the BMW Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What year is your X5?
Customer: its a 2002 3.0 diesel
JA: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes and just tried looking for fault codes after servicing and filling the oil up to the correct amount
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you :)
11/20/2017
Peter Zavarelli

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

There was a bulletin released on this issue on this model here.A dealer or repair center has to check and re code/reprogram the light check control module.Then the oil level sensor needs replaced with a new sensor as it fails and causes this issue here.The bulletin number is ***** B 11 07 03.I would say a faulty oil level sensor is most likely since it ran low or out of oil the sensor may have debris or sludge on it causing a fault with it and is most common.

The cost to replace it can run around $75 to $120 for the sensor and 1.3 hours labor to replace plus the cost of new engine oil.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Peter Zavarelli
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
thank you very much for your help, I will get a new sensor, many thanks again

Your welcome

Let me know if you need anything else here.

Thanks Pete

Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli