UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am desperately trying to assist my sister. She has a VW…

Customer Question
HI I am desperately...

HI I am desperately trying to assist my sister. She has a VW Golf 2.0L FSI 09G Asin Warner 6 speed multi-wet plate clutch. Earlier this year she took her car to VW here in Johannesburg with a problem - erratic shifting primarily between 3 and 4. She was advise to take the car to gearbox specialists who reconditioned the whole gearbox and 7-8 months later she still has the problem. They keep on telling her that she needs to 'run the car in'. Essentially she has spent a huge amount of money and now has no car to drive and nowhere to go.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

It literally shudders when she puts it into reverse or drive and then when she is driving it will gear up and then literally stick say in 3rd - even if she is going faster and it should shift

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

Its a 2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

VIN Number AAVX+ZZZ1K6U019990

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

AAVZZZ1K6U019990 Sorry that was the corrected VIN Number if it would help

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Car
11/20/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 8 months ago
Peter Zavarelli

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If the gear box was already rebuilt/reconditioned including replacing sensors and solenoids in it ( as sometimes these electrical parts are not replaced when it is reconditioned) and the fault is still continuing this can be an issue with the transmission control unit/ecu at fault.I have seen issues with the control unit failing in some cases that will cause shift and gear engagement issues causing this fault here.If this was not checked to see if it had any fault codes stored in it with a compatible scan tool or computer that can read it this needs done.If any codes are set they will help to diagnose and pinpoint the fault here.But this control unit can fail causing this fault here.I would let the facility that did the rebuild know it did not correct the fault to see if they will help with the costs or cover the costs to re diagnose and repair it again.

Now if the sensors or solenoids were not replaced in the gear box when it was rebuilt this can be a fault with a shift solenoid not operating as it should.There should be shift solenoids in the gear box that operate the shift points and if one is acting up it will cause this issue here and it would need replaced.

This does have to be re diagnosed/tested further to locate if this is a faulty transmission ecu or an issue with a solenoid in the gearbox needing replaced to resolve this fault here.It is unfortunate they have charged her all of this money and did not fix the issue.I would see if they will re diagnose and repair at no cost or at least help with the cost.

You may have to contact a legal person in your area as well if they wont help or want to continue to charge more to repair this.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Hi Pete thanks for your answer - she has indeed taken the car back twice with no resolution. We found the following information which we submitted to them for reading
Inherent Weaknesses
One of the few weaknesses inherent to the VW Tiptronic has already been addressed by the company. Early transmissions were subject to hard 1 to 2 up-shifts, erratic 3 to 4 shifting and torque converter shudder. VW released a service bulletin to address this issue, advising owners to re-flash (re-program) the stock transmission computer with more recent software and smoother operation.
Left Block VW Triptronic.jpg
N89 Solenoid
In a few known instances, an important solenoid designated "N89" has failed in the Tiptronic. The Tiptronic uses a number of solenoids in different combinations to engage the gears. First and Fourth gear share practically the same solenoid arrangement, except for the # N89. If this solenoid sticks in the 3 to 4 gear change, it is possible to wind up in first gear instead of fourth. This will cause rapid deceleration, like slamming on the brakes, but so far has yet to actually damage a transmission.But it seems that have not read the information. Worse they are unwilling to discuss with my sister because they say she wouldn't understand. Being without her car for three - four weeks every time
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 8 months ago

It sounds like they are treating here unfairly.They shouldn't tell her they will not discuss it with here as she wont understand.That is just rude in my opinion.There are times I wish I could go in with a customer and hear these things myself to help out customers that need help.

If the reprogram was not done I would have this done first as this relates back to the transmission ecu I had posted about above.If the dealer will not check or do this then she may have to locate another dealer or facility that will do this for her.If this is or was done already then the shift solenoids do need to be tested to see if one is faulty needing replaced.I suspect none of them were replaced when the rebuild was done as in most cases the electrical solenoids/sensors in the gear box are not replaced when a rebuild is done unfortunately.

The problem is getting someone to listen to her to check these things and unfortunately it sounds like the facilities she has taken it to will not listen so in this case she would have to go into another facility to have them look into a reprogram and test the solenoids as well as transmission ecu for any faults.

She can also contact VW customer service and let them know of what has been going on here and in some cases they will contact a dealer to get this resolved for her.Here is their contact info.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/contact-us

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete