UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

When I turn my there's like a grinding sound and my abs

Customer Question
When I turn my...

When I turn my there's like a grinding sound and my abs light is on. I'm thinking its the tone ring.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

Just the abs light.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2002 Ford Escape

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm pretty experienced with mechanical work, nothing to crazy, but I'm a mechanic in the army so I know my way around a vehicle. Nothing has really been done so far, I'm just trying to diagnose the problem quick because It takes a long time for parts to get to germany where I'm stationed and your car has to pass an inspection to obtain permanents plates. WIth the ABS light on, It will not pass inspection.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that is all thanks

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Ron, Car Enthusiast replied 8 months ago
Ron, Car Enthusiast

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Thank you!

If you ABS light is coming on then the first thing you need to do to determine the cause would be to scan the ABS system and see what the fault code is that should be setting. Once you know the fault code that will give you the direction you need to get starter on the correct repair. If you can get me the fault code and or codes I will help you get this resolved.

I see, as of right now I do not really have a way to get the codes. I've just read that a sort of clicking or light grinding noise while turning and the abs turning on can be the tone ring. I'm just hoping it's not a wheel bearing. I will ask if someone has a computer to scan for the code. Thank you.

If it is a tone ring it would indicate something is moving and or loose , one thing you can go if you do not have access to a scan tool would be to jack the front end up and and check both front wheel bearings for any signs of them being loose which could cause the tone ring to drag on the wheel speed sensor and that would cause the noise and the light to come on. You could very well have a hub bearing loose.