UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2007 base model mini.the yellow check engine light…

I have a 2007...

I have a 2007 base model mini.the yellow check engine light is on. its running very rough. code says #2 cylinder miss. I changed the plugs and found dark fluid around base of plugs on #2 cylinder and the adjoining one as well. the dealership is quite far away. so im on my own. could you say ballpark bill with this info.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It blinks when car is started then stays on. it come on at tach. when started then stays on at speedo

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Only plugs so far. thats when i noticed the dark fluid around plug seats. on #2 cyl. and the one next to it. ill have to do it myself. i dont want to drive it the 70 miles to Dallas and cant afford to have it towed

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The car has about 98k miles on it and I owe 3k. ive had about 1500 dollars worth of work on it for various other repairs by a qualified mechanic. can i get a ballpark on repair cost or do I need to sell or trade. I like the car but dont want to spend more than its worth.

11/18/2017
Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Hi, my name is***** single cylinder misfire is usually caused by a bad ignition coil. You can test the coil by moving it to another cylinder and rechecking the fault code. If the code changes to the other cylinder you need to replace the coil. You can purchase a coil for around $30. The fluid you are seeing is probably just motor oil due to a leaking valve cover gasket. A gasket kit for the Mini is also around $30. It is not that difficult to replace the gasket.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Just checking in. Do you need anymore help with this?

Looks like that did the trick. I replaced all 4 coils though since they were inexpensive. Thanks for a great answer!

You're quite welcome. Glad you got it sorted out.

Marty

Marty
Marty, European Car Expert