UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a saab 9-3 1.8t approx 100K on the clock and has been…

Customer Question
Hi, i have a...

Hi, i have a saab 9-3 1.8t approx 100K on the clock and has been serviced and now its cutting out for no reason.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 9-3?

If it was a really old car i would say the points need to be done? 2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 9-3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I havent tried anything yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope thats ity

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/17/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

these cars are very prone to issues with the ignition coil assembly as they age

I'd suggest to try testing the coil pack (also know as the DIC)

as shown on the image

if this is OK then this could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;

Airflow meter

Crank position sensor

Cam position sensor

O2 sensor

Throttle position sensor

unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.

Also replace the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist:

https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-ngk/faqs/spark-plug-faqs/how-do-i-read-a-spark-plug

Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the injectors is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V