UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford F250 2005 6.0 diesel, cuts out when it gets up to temp,

Customer Question
Ford F250 2005 6.0...

Ford F250 2005 6.0 diesel, cuts out when it gets up to temp, gauges read normal. let it cool down for 7 minutes, starts right up. If I run it with cab heater on full it will run all day. We have replaced the Crank position sensor but it made no difference.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes we have a fitter here, so far we have changed the crank sensor. we are trying to figure out what component would be able to turn the engine off when it is running, and be able to let it start again when it cooled down again. all the gauges read normal.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We have bought a new thermostat , new coolant temp sensor, new cam position sensor, new icp sensor and new ipr sensor. not fitted yet.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: UK Car
we have now changed the thermostat, coolant temp sensor, cam position sensor. Started right up after changes, brought it up to temperature, drove it, it ran fine. Turned it off now it is no start.
11/17/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Scott W., ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Scott W.
Scott W., ASE Certified Technician
Hello my name is***** you checked for trouble codes?
Do you have a scan tool that will look at pids?
I have a Foxwell scan tool, I have scanned it today and codes coming up are - Instrument cluster fault 13 - Powertrain control module fault 17 . - Generic electronic control module fault 13. It started ok this morning but I have not run it up to temp yet. I don't have anyway to tell what these codes mean.
regards,
Ceri
My fitter is not in on a Saturday and we are in England. If I knew what the codes meant it would help.Regards,Ceri

I​ have no idea what type of codes those are, there should be a PXXXX code stored, specifically I am suspecting a P2291 low icp during crank. Your description sounds like there is a high pressure oil leak inside the engine. This can be caused by a IPR valve, block off plug, high pressure pump, standpipe, fuel injector, or stc fitting or the least common the branch tube. Since this only happens hot, I would make sure you have a P2291 code first, then look at ICP pid during the no start while cranking, if the pressure is less than 500 psi cranking during the no start, it will not start, the computer needs to see more than 500 psi before it will even fire the injectors. I suspect either the IPR valve or the STC fitting on the pump to branch tube, these were known for blowing the oring and causing a loss of high pressure oil. Let me know what the ICP is reading during the no start. Thanks Scott

IPR is at 16 to 25% when running, turned the engine off when up to temp (66c coolant tem). no start when tried to restart, IPR at 85% when cranked, no start. We tried to remove the IPR yesterday to replace it. Couldn't budge it, not enough purchase on a 2ft bar, do we have to remove the turbo to get it off? or is there another way.
Regards,
Ceri

I assume you have the IPR socket?

We saw one on a youtube vid and made one out of a an impact socket. Can you recommend a better scan / code reader that will give us the proper fault codes.

S​ince you have 85% ipr during the no start, you must have a high pressure oil leak for sure. I would apply power and ground to the ipr and remove the ICP sensor and air test the system listening for a air leak. I suspect the STC fitting on the pump, as 2005's we known for this failure. A scan tool to use for the diesels has to be a high end scanner, any snap on scanner will work, they are expensive.

Could it be the IPR valve is faulty? What I don't get is why it's temperature related to such a fine degree, keeping the cab heater on full stops the no start.

Yes we have seen IPR's do this exact problem, also the oil thins to a certain viscosity at a certain temp, so when the temp is reached, and there is a small leak, the pump can't over come this resulting in a no start. The first step Ford has us do with this type of problem is replace the IPR with a new or known good one and retest, we have a test IPR just for these types of problems.

ok so we seem to have solved the IPR no start when hot issue by replacing the IPR, now we are ok at idle but very lumpy response past 1200rpm, on scan I have no turbo boost, VGTDC turbo is at 73% on tickover and55% @ 1200rpm, past this point (1200rpm) it gets real lumpy. Key on engine off- ICP is at .25v reading 23to 25 KPA and 1.25v running 1200rpm. IPR is 15% cold start on tickover and 19% @ 1200rpm. Manifold pressure is 97kpa key on engine off and 99kpa running 1200rpm. ficam is at 47.5V cold startup. So, starts fine and ticks over like a sewing machine, starts when hot but runs real lumpy at 1100 1200rpm, no turbo boost. Any ideas?
Ceri
Has the egg valve been pulled and made sure it’s not stuck open slightly?
Egr has been removed/blocked off 4 years ago. If I unplug the ICP then the IPR runs up to 30% but still no turbo boost.
Either the turbo vanes are stuck or the map hose or map port in intake is plugged or you have a blown out charge air cooler or hose. These are most common especially the plugged map port in the manifold.
Oh and make sure turbo is spinning and not seized.
We have stripped the turbo and cleaned it, spins ok and vanes move. The turbo actuator/ works when we put 12v to it out on the bench. Since the engine seems to be hunting at higher revs and the turbo is not kicking in I am wondering if the two issues are linked by the IPR showing full bypass at 15% cold and running at tickover. The injectors need higher oil pressure when the revs are increased and also the turbo needs hp oil to open the vanes I think? When I unplug the Icp the IPR pressure goes up to 30%. So I am thinking maybe the old and new replacement are duff . We will look at the map port and see if it is clean / clear. I thank you for your continued input and will be sure to pay what is appropriate when we resolve this. Regards,
Ceri
Billesdon
LE79FY
England
You can find us on Google earth.
15 percent ipr is a good reading usually anything over 20-25 indicates high pressure oil loss. Has the fuel pressure been checked it needs to be 50.
Sorry its taken a while to get back to you, we had to wait to get a new ICP sensor. We got the truck working, the main issue was the IPR valve, no start when hot. The problem following that was the ICP sensor, someone sent us the wrong one, then we found when we fitted the new one that one of the terminals on the 3 pin plug to the ICP was not making proper connection. Thanks for your help, how can I pay you?
Regards,
Ceri
Scott W.
Scott W.
Scott W., ASE Certified Technician