UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The handbrake on my 2004 jazz is rubbish, i have replaced…

Customer Question
The handbrake on my...

The handbrake on my 2004 jazz is rubbish, i have replaced the callipers and the pads and discs, and its still rubbish

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '04 Honda?

Its a jazz....... i did say

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Discs pads and callipers. and yes, i am fixing it myslef

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am an ex mechanic i was in the trade for 16 years

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: UK Car
11/14/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 5 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Can you explain what you mean by the ebrake being rubbish - doesnt hold at all, handle goes all the way up with no resistance, doesnt release easily, or something else?

Doesn't hold, it's adjusted according to the manual ( 1 click up, just dragging then off) it goes up 4 to 5 clicks, but doesn't hold on hills properly

For some reason I dont have the schematics to see where the issue lies so I will opt out and see if another expert can help

UK Auto Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 5 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you still need help with this?

please

did you try adjusting the cable?

Have you access to the history?

I dont have access to this particular vehicle, what all was done?

I have replaced both callipers and it has had new rear discs and pads, the cable is ( as far as I can tell as it's done by the manual) correctly adjusted. The pads are free in the sliders, and yet it hardly holds on even gentle slopes.
the manual says pull the handle up one click, adjust the cable till the brakes just bind, then the cable is adjusted correctly. And this has been done

try going a few turns tighter, just make sure the brakes turn freely when it is disengaged,Tim

I have tried that already, the brakes then get hot.... it defies logic��

have you watched the levers at the caliper and seen if they move evenly when pulling the handbrake, and how far they go?

the callipers are new and not sticking at all, both levers work by the same amount and also watching from the top end the cables move a similar amount so I believe the cables are free.

then it cn only be in the calipers, did it do this before the calipers were replaced?

that's the reason I replaced them, handbrake was poor before, as above I have changed the discs and pads, and both callipers, but the handbrake is still poor...

then I am at a loss here, Tim

In a way I'm glad it's not just me, I did Google jazz poor handbrake earlier and I don't seem to be alone.

the disc brake e brakes do not hold as good as a drum brake system, that is for sure,Tim

Indeed, I agree with you there,but this doesn't even hold on a small slope, and it's impossible to park anywhere there is a hill, I am also at a loss of explaining this. I expected callipers to fix it or at least make it acceptable, this however is almost un useable.

I agree with you, but you have already verified, the cables are not stretched or binding, and the travel on the lever is good, I don t see what else you can do?

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH