UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a potential immobiliser issue, can you help? 2011…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a potential immobiliser issue, can you help?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mazda?

2011 Mazda 6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

The keyfob won't disable the immobiliser, only the key itself does when I put it into ignition. When locking the car with the keyfob the immobiliser light flashes rapdily (didn't used to) but locking with the actual key causes the light to flash normally (every two seconds). I have check the keyfob battery and reads 3volts and locking/unlocking works fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

The keyfob battery is fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Think that covers it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Car
10/18/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 8 months ago
Peter Zavarelli

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the vehicle not starting when using the key fob to lock or unlock the vehicle but the vehicle does start when you use the key to lock or unlock?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Hi Peter,Vehicle starts fine in both scenarios (I believe the act of putting the key into the ignition is deactivating the immobiliser and that's why starting the car isn't an issue).Alex
Previously when I unlocked the car with the keyfob the immobiliser light would stay off even before putting the key into the ignition.Alex
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 8 months ago

Have you had the fault codes read out at all with a compatible scan tool to see what codes are set?

I haven't no, is that something I can do myself on this car? I think there are Bluetooth devices that can do that these days.Alex
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 8 months ago

You can but you would need to obtain a code reader or scan tool or blue tooth device that will plug in and can communicate with all computers in your vehicle to do this.This is the first thing that needs done is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set then those codes can be diagnosed to locate and repair this issue.

Since the key fob does lock and unlock the doors but is causing this fault here I suspect this is a possible fault with either the keyless control module internally sensing an incorrect signal from the remote ( although the signal is correct) with it needing replaced or a software issue with the keyless control module with a dealer needing to update the software in it.

Having the codes checked will help.The module may need to be replaced or programmed.

I do not know of any bluetooth devices myself that I have worked with that can read all computers in your vehicle.This usually takes a higher end scan tool like the one listed below.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-DS708-Automotive-Diagnostic-Multi-language/dp/B008XN7NUG

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete