UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2013 focus st3, Since having my tyres changed at my…

Hi, I have a 2013...
Hi, I have a 2013 focus st3,Since having my tyres changed at my M.O.T in August I've been feeling the steering feel different on and off, especially at motorway speed it feels a little disconnected changing lanes, and general turning, just not as tight and planted as it did pre-test,It definitely feels as if it could be an electrical problem as the feel does come back occasionally, any ideas as to what could be the problem?I have seen people just getting new racks but it could be a sensor fault or a host of other things from what I read in forums,Thank, Allan
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/17/2017
Peter Zavarelli

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This may be a fault with a wheel speed sensor sending a false signal on a wheel speed intermittently as this can cause this type of fault here.I would also have the tires and rims checked though to make sure none are damaged in any way causing this issue.But usually after having tires changed I have seen where a wheel speed sensor can cause this fault if it was damaged during the tire change out.

This will have to be inspected further to locate which component is causing this fault.It may be a good idea to have the facility that did the tire change out inspect this,if it is found to be their fault then they should cover the costs to repair this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Thanks Pete,I had seen that had caused similar problems with others, is there one per wheel I take it? and can I ask what the test used to check them would be?I'm also guessing based on others experience this has a knock on effect on the torque distribution / vectoring system that would explain the lack of that planted feeling? and cause a t/c light to flash occasionally?

Your welcome

Usually on most models there is one per tire/wheel.I have seen these become damaged when tires are swapped out in some cases so this does need to be checked.The test to check them would be to either visually inspect each one for any damage or install a compatible scan tool or computer to your vehicles data port and drive the vehicle observing speed sensor signals to locate a sensor that is sending no signal or a false signal compared to the other speed sensor readings on the scan tool/computer.

Yes this will cause the traction control light to flash ( T/C light) as well as cause power loss when a sensor like this is acting up.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Peter Zavarelli
Brilliant, would checking the voltage of the connection be of use while doing this?

Unfortunately checking the voltage wont help with this here.The readings have to be taken while driven to see which sensor is sending a false signal.You would have to spin the wheel very fast by hand to do any voltage testing and each sensor usually puts off an ac voltage but it has to be spun very fast by hand and has to be acting up to get an accurate test result so its best to have the speed sensor signals checked with a scan tools data list.

Thanks Pete

Thanks, I'll let you know how I get on

Your welcome