UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I cant get 1st or 2nd gear when the gearbox is hot on a 4x4…

I cant get 1st or...
I cant get 1st or 2nd gear when the gearbox is hot on a 4x4 mazda pick up year 2004
10/9/2017
Peter Zavarelli

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If this has a manual transmission check and make sure the shifter linkage is all o.k. with no issues with the linkage being loose or bent at all.Also check and make sure the engine and transmission mounts are all o.k.If these are all checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

This is a manual transmission the shifter linkage is all O.K. Nothing loose or bent at all. the engine is also a replacement and transmission mounts would have been. Also a new clutch slave unit was fitted,please continue.

Does the shifter shift into 1st and 2nd gears at all when this occurs?

it only happens when I stop put it out of gear let the clutch out and then try to get back in to 1st or 2nd gear, if I go in to 4th and then in to 1st then its all right.
I had not finished asking all of the question I was ill the next day and when I got back all I got was this question was finished if you can answer the full question which is. I can’t get 1st or 2nd gear when the gearbox is hot on a 4x4 Mazda pickup year 2004This is a manual transmission the shifter linkage is all O.K. Nothing loose or bent at all. The engine is also a replacement. Also a new clutch slave unit was fitted. It only happens when I stop put it out of gear let the clutch out and then try to get back in to 1st or 2nd gear, if I go in to 4th and then in to 1st then it’s all right.

Was this an issue with the old and new gear box?

it was issue with the old and new gear box, the new gear box is a repayment not brand new

This is a difficult question for me to answer myself on this here.I will have to see if anyone else can assist further on this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Greg
Greg, Shop Owner

Hi .

Sadly this is a typical issue with this gearbox ,

When the Box gets over 50.000 miles the synchromesh rings start to bind when hot .

Even known to fail much sooner than 50k.

A very typical problem .

For further assistance with this issue please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i/we will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Before rating poor or bad please get back to me as i'm here to help you, if i can't i will opt out so another expert can.
We want you to be happy with an answer and help you with your problem . Want you to be a happy motorist .
After rating there is no further cost for any other question relating to this problem
Kind regards Greg..

Hi .

If you look at the attachment i've marked the syncro rings so you understand what i mean.

Rgds Greg

Greg
Greg, Shop Owner
This makes sense I done over 150,000 with the old one and this is a replacement not a new one it looks like a rebuild as Mazda has stopped making them thank you
Greg
Greg
Greg, Shop Owner