UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a Citroen C3 Pluriel, 1.6 engine Petrol. Sometimes…

Customer Question
Hello there. I have a Citroen...
Hello there.
I have a Citroen C3 Pluriel, 1.6 engine Petrol.
Sometimes when the car is garaged, it has a strong smell of petrol, even though I see no apparent leaks anywhere. The smell is also there when driving with window open - smell is worst with right side (driver side) open, a little less with left passenger .
Had a good look with the car jacked up but cannot see anything which may cause it.... everything is dry.any clues? could not see in line filter and no cracked plastic hoses.
Jo Cumbo
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/7/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

the most common place for a fuel leak is under the bonnet and where the fuel injectors plug into the injection rail as this is at the greatest pressure

so I'd suggest to remove the plastic engine cover and use a torch to inspect carefully around the tops of the fuel injectors for signs of wetness

it only takes a very small leak to give a strong smell

so I'd begin by removing all the covers then flick the ignition on but do not start the engine as this will run the pump for a few seconds to prime the system to get it up to pressure

then locate the plastic fuel pipe from the tank and check its fitting for signs of wetness and follow the line back to the injectors

if this is all OK then its possible the issue is with the fuel tank vent system, as the tank is meant to be sealed with excess gases vented back to the engine via the 'purge' system

so I'd begin by checking the state of the fuel tank cap is the seal torn or badly worn? when you open the cap to fill up do you get a 'hiss' of in-rushing air?

if not then I'd replace the filler cap with a new item