UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The key broke and an alarm started to go off in the still…

Customer Question
Good morning - the...

Good morning - the key broke and an alarm started to go off in the still standing vehicle. The spare key was used and all of a sudden there were no brakes - the Toyota dealer could not fix it and someone told us that it is an immobilizer safety function . Any help will be appreciated!

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?

We do have the key but there are no brakes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

Awe it is old - 1999

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No we did not try - took it to a Toyota dealer in Pretoria North who told us they canno find the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I think that is it thank you!

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: UK Car
10/6/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 10 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

yes they do have anti theft system and could be triggered on now,we usually reset them or find the faults in the system with factory scanner or equivalent

now have you tried a master reset

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

lets start here and we go from there

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Good afternoon and thank you for your reply. It seems to me that some info got lost in translation. It is not that the vehicle would not start... it is that the BRAKES ARE GONE.
The vehicle was standing dead still with the key in the ignition
Then an alarm started to poooooooooooooooooooooooop
Then we used a new key and the vehicle did start
Then when we tried to DRIVE the BRAKES WERE GONE

oh ok i misunderstood you sorry

then the abs module or the harness to it

BUT CHECK BATTERY AND ALTERNATOR ,IF YOU HAVE WEAK BATTERY ALARM WILL TRIGGER AND MODULE SHUTS DOWN

DO YOU HAVE 12 VOLT BATTERY AND HOLDING AND AFTER IT STARTS IS IT CHARGING 14 VOLTS

I UNDERSTAND BRAKES ARE GONE BUT IF NOT ENOUGH POWER / VOLTAGE ,YOU WILL LOSE THEM

NOW NOW LEAKS ON BRAKE SYSTEM CORRECT ?