UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Hoping you can help as i'm pulling my hair out... Brake

Customer Question
Hi Chris, hoping you can...
Hi Chris, hoping you can help as i'm pulling my hair out...
Brake light failure & Glow Plug light flashing - VW Transporter T5 2008 1.9 84 SWB.
Ok, straight to the point, i did some 5mm hole drilling in both rear posts at ceiling height today and since then i have a flashing glow plug light, no brake lights and lots of interference on radio FM.
All other lights work and i have checked fuse 21 which is intact.
I have located the main loom to the rear and, with fluke, i have roughly 12v in the red/black wire just before it splits off down the left rear pillar and across the roof to right pillar however, i have no voltage ON EITHER red/black at the brake light connector.
Have i drilled through a loom?
I have tried withdrawing the pillar loom but it is held up by a thin wires which seem to disappear deep down into the floor/wheelarch?
Could it also be the brake relay at the pedal ?
Any help or advice would be much appreciated, Chris
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Car
10/6/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

I'd say its extremely likely you've cut through the loom

probably the easiest repair is to run 2 new fresh wires through the pillar and splice them in either side of the effected area and then cut the original wires at both ends and remove

Hi Matt
So I have reworded the pos feed with both L & R brake light feeds going back to the central loom running along the roof. I have a 4v current through the central loom red/black and 4v at each brake light connector but still no lights.
Glow lamp plug still flashing
I was wrong. I wired to the wrong wire.
I have wired to the red black of each side brake lights to the main roof loom but I have no voltage and I no longer have 12v in the loom either.
Glow plug still flashing and no brake lights

Hello

so

you've added extra wires to replace the suspect ones? As it sounds like you've moved the wiring to pick off another point in the loom?

if its the latter then you may have all sorts of issues here as the resistance of the circuit is important for the diagnostics and by briding into another part of the loom you will change this value

Matt, Mechanical Engineer