UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have lost the key to a 2008 Hilux. Does Toyota have record…

Customer Question
I have lost the...

I have lost the key to a 2008 Hilux. Does Toyota have record of key numbers for ease of replacement?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?

No, no backup key

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 Toyota?

Hilux

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Local Toyota dealer say replace ECU (?) system, or go to a lock smith. I think the number on the tag for the key was 6416

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: UK Car
10/2/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

That is weird you should be able to have the vehicle towed to the dealer and they can cut and program you a new key, have you tried calling a different dealer?

but they say it costs around $2000 - I need a cheaper solution

2000? just for a key and reprogram? thats craxy and you have called other dealers for the same quote?