UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The engine warning light comes on and then acceleration is…

Customer Question
The engine warning light...

The engine warning light comes on and then acceleration is lost and vehicle won't go above 45mph

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Malfunction indicator light

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

Jeep GND Cherokee CRD 1998

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

It's been to a garage on Friday and they said they were unsure but seemed to have reset it. Today, light is on again and loss of acceleration

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It's had other electrical problems. The electronic stability program tranction control system indicator light often comes on and engine locks and prevents acceleration. Also, on a few occasions jeep won't start but battery fine

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Car
10/1/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: vwtech0405, Vw tech replied 7 months ago
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, Vw tech

Good morning i can help you , do you know what trouble codes where stored in the engine that triggered the light to com on ? the shop more then likely just erased the light and did not look into the codes that triggered it

They didn't mention any trouble codes. Do you know what needs to be done to fix this?

If the malfunction indicator light is coming on then the vehicle has faults that trigger that light more then likely they just turned rest it , more then likely it sounds like you will need to have the throttle body checked because the stability light came on and the vehicle would not move over 45mph this is where i recommend you have checked first . I hope this helps please dont forget to provide feedback/star rating for the help provided thank you

vwtech0405
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, Vw tech