UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have recently bought a 500cl 2002 and have a MASSIVE

Customer Question
I have recently bought...

I have recently bought a 500cl 2002 and have a MASSIVE problem with battery overnight drain. Spent FORTUNES with local garage including changing alternator, battery, diagnostic checks. STILL have the problems pleasre help

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No new battery six months ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 Mercedes?

500 cl

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Local garage have plug in diagnostic checks and first time the diagnosed te alarm was draining so changed it, Still draining !!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

HELP

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 3 days by:
10/5/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 10 months ago
Peter Zavarelli

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

You need to have a parasitic drain/draw test done with a multi meter.Below is a procedure I use to help locate and repair the draw issue.

O.k.,what needs done is to leave the key out of the vehicle with the windows rolled up and make sure everything is off with access to the battery.

Set the meter to amperage or milliamp and disconnect the negative cable from the battery.Put the leads in the multi meter the correct way (negative in negative and positive in the amperage or milliamp slot if equipped).

Connect one cable from the meter to the ground cable that was connected to the battery and the other lead to the ground terminal on the battery,this way the current is flowing through the multi meter.

After around 5 to 10 minutes see what the meter reads for a amperage draw.Normally you want to see less then 50 milliamp or less then .05 amp.

If you see over this amount of a battery draw/drain then your vehicle has an electrical component draining the battery.

From here you would remove one fuse at a time with the meter still in place and observe the reading on the meter until you come across one fuse that allows the draw to read below the 50 milliamp.This is the fuse or circuit that has the component on it that is drawing down the battery.Make sure when you remove one fuse if it is not the issue reinstall it and move to the next waiting a minute between each fuse removed to get an accurate reading.

Once you find the fuse or circuit its on then you would look on a wiring diagram to see what that fuse powers and unplug each of those components one at a time until you locate the component causing the draw then this component would need replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Done all of that disconnected tv satnav and alarm all seemed well for a day or two then back to the same problem. NIGHTMARE. Have booked the car into a Mercedes dealer. If they find the problem I will let you know
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 10 months ago

I apologize for the delay.

O.k.,if there is anything else I can help with on this here let me know.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Done all you advise eventually found the draw down was something to do with the keyless card. Awaiting until tomorrow morning to see. I now have a further problem that the gear shift will not come out of first gear I am advised that I need a new module when will it stop ?
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 10 months ago

Unfortunately with the Mercedes models there are allot of electronics that tend to act up over time.The shifting issue is usually the shifter module needing replaced.Once it is replaced this should resolve all of the issues you are having as well as having the keyless card or keyless component replaced that is needed for the draw issue.But you shouldnt see any other issues if it is checked over fully buy the dealer and all they found was the shifter and keyless card issue.

Thanks Pete