UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have new 2016 KIA Optima GT. Today I had a serious problem…

Customer Question
I have new 2016...

I have new 2016 KIA Optima GT. Today I had a serious problem my trunk (rear led lock) broked from inside the spring detached and the plastic pivot was broken I checked it by myself

Mechanic's Assistant: What exactly is happening to the trunk?

The trunk was open by itself in my garage and when I checked it I found the plastic latch broken and the spring off its position.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Optima yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I am a service manager in Ferrari but I never fixed my car outside the dealership, but I was confused how this happens and I checked it by myself its easy for me I removed the clips and had a look inside the lock

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Actually no but I want to know is it a common problem in all Kia or it's a cheap material been used from factory

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: UK Car
Hi I need an answer please ...
Answered in 1 day by:
10/1/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I can't say I've ever heard of a latch failing in this way, but just like any part a trunk latch could fail at any time. If the trunk lid had been slammed hard or closed on a foreign object previously that most likely was a factor.

Either way, if it's a 2016 it would still be under warranty unless you're out by mileage, if you're under basic warranty then the repair will be covered.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!