UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have new 2016 KIA Optima GT. Today I had a serious problem…

Customer Question
I have new 2016...

I have new 2016 KIA Optima GT. Today I had a serious problem my trunk (rear led lock) broked from inside the spring detached and the plastic pivot was broken I checked it by myself

Mechanic's Assistant: What exactly is happening to the trunk?

The trunk was open by itself in my garage and when I checked it I found the plastic latch broken and the spring off its position.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Optima yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I am a service manager in Ferrari but I never fixed my car outside the dealership, but I was confused how this happens and I checked it by myself its easy for me I removed the clips and had a look inside the lock

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Actually no but I want to know is it a common problem in all Kia or it's a cheap material been used from factory

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Car
Hi I need an answer please ...
Answered in 1 day by:
10/1/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I can't say I've ever heard of a latch failing in this way, but just like any part a trunk latch could fail at any time. If the trunk lid had been slammed hard or closed on a foreign object previously that most likely was a factor.

Either way, if it's a 2016 it would still be under warranty unless you're out by mileage, if you're under basic warranty then the repair will be covered.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician