UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My X TRAIL T31 2010 2.0 Diesel makes rattling noise when…

Customer Question
Hi, my X TRAIL...

Hi, my X TRAIL T31 2010 2.0 Diesel makes rattling noise when idling, on checking oil level is bit below maximum level.Any serious problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Noise is from engine bay ,and it has been going for about 2-3 days.I have stopped going for long drive.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Nissan?

Nissan X TRAIL T31 2010 MODEL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I dont do it myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Some times DPF warning light comes on and off.But most of the time it is off.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: UK Car
9/28/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Robert, UK Car Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic

Hi..there..

Ok..well the oil level would of been one of the first things to check..and so seeing as you have checked that and it seems to be near the MAX level..then you can disregard that..the only thing that could create a noise like that at idle..would be the timing chain..these engines do have reputation for guide/tensioner failure and thus this allows the timing chain to become slack and create a rattle at idle or start up ..so if the noise is certainly from behind the timing cover then thats pretty mkuch what your lookingat having replaced..but as with all type of noises like that you should basically check that nothing is actually loos on the engine like heat sheailds on the exhaust or anything loose creating rattle with the vibration of the engine..next would be to acess any noise form the auxiallary side of the engine what your main belt drives..ie: alternator,ac pump etc.....but as far as the DPF light goes then that will come on during periods of long drives as the DPF self regenerates..as long as the light goes out then it working fine...