UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

03 Mazda Demio, 125 K, Owned from 7K. Fantastic little car.

Customer Question
03 Mazda Demio, 125...

03 Mazda Demio, 125 K, Owned from 7K . Fantastic little car. NO problems all this time! 99% starting in 1 or 2 revolutions. 'Suddenly' - two months ago - warm weather by the way, will not start...UNLESS Foot on floor and turning engine over for 15 - 20 seconds. Yeh ! Good battery, but for how long? Problem intermittent 2 out of 3 mornings at the moment. Fuel pump 'seems' to be fine, pumps well. Any suggestions please? Bryan, Brightlingsea, UK

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?

Hi Pearl, Re 'code' - I've not put it on a diagnostics machine yet - only main dealers have these. Re 'light' - all lights go out once it DOES fire up. Re Spark - must be, 'cos it runs fine...when it starts.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes.Checking pump - 'buzzes' appropriately and delivers fuel out of filter at a good rate. (not actually pressure tested pump yet) Removed & cleaned distributor cap - not dirty or damp. Removed & cleaned solenoid operated valve (controls air admittance?) at top right of engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Car
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/27/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 7 months ago
Peter Zavarelli

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does it smoke from the exhaust when it finally does start with this issue here or smell like fuel at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Hi Pete, Not badly, although can be quite a lot of water vapour at first.
OBD Code reads P150. "Idle Air Control Solenoid - Circuit Intermittent "
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 7 months ago

This may be an issue with a component like the engine coolant temp sensor sending a false signal intermittently.This will cause hard starting when hot or cold or both in some cases.One other component that can cause this fault would be an issue with a component like the throttle position sensor sending a false signal.

With the code set here though this can be a vacuum leak as well or idle control solenoid motor needing replaced.All of these will need to be checked into to locate the fault.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.A 5 star rating is appreciated.Thanks Pete

Hi Pete,
Starting once warm is no problem. Starts and runs well repeatedly all day, even after standing for 3 - hours..
However, this morning it wouldn't start even with being turned over for 30 seconds or more as previously with this problem. i.e. it seems to be getting worse. What DID get it going this morning after several long 'turnovers' was a burst of Easystart in the air intake. Once running it ran fine all day. Does this narrow down the options at all? Bryan
Hi Pete,
Nothing heard from you pete in response to my "Starting once warm is...." , sent 28th. Did you get that......or this? Bryan
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 7 months ago

I apologize for the delay.

Even though you have good fuel flow you may not have enough fuel pressure. I would have the fuel pressure tested to see if the fuel pressure is weak. If the fuel pressure is weak most likely the fuel pump is weak or the fuel filter is restricted. This can be a common issue I have seen several times before.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Thanks Peter., Following up your suggestion re Fuel pump pressure. Acc to blogs rthis is not uncommon with ageing Mazdas. Problem is finding wet pressure guage and details of what is the right pressure. Back to you with rating as soon as I'ver tried your suggestion. Thasnks so far, Bryan.
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 7 months ago

Your welcome Bryan

Hi Pete,Working on getting the fuel pump pressure checked. Problem as intermittent as ever - one morning YES, the next NO ! Will 'rate' you as soon as I've managed to narrow down the problem with your help. Bryan
UK Auto Mechanic: Peter Zavarelli,
 replied 7 months ago

Sounds good Bryan.If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete

Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli