UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a serious vibration occuring at over 65mph. I have…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a serious vibration occuring at over 65mph. I have had my mechanic check the front driveshafts & suspension twice and there was no problem getting through the MOT last month. He thought it must be the tyres that were renewed and balanced twice. Then the suspension top mounts were replaced as they were worn - no change, the car still feels as if it is driving down a cobbled street at over 65 mph I am self-employed and rely on the car for a lot of motorway driving on the M25. Can you suggest anything else it may be?

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?

No, none at all. No change in the ride, still the same.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?

It is a Volvo V40 T4 year 2000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your V40 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, it has been to my mechanic three times for the problem. At first he diagnosed tyre wear, so I changed the tyres, then he rebalanced them himself, as he felt they hadn't been done properly. Lastly at my suggestion the top mounts were replaced. Unfortunately, because his workshop is in an inner London area, he hasn't had the experience of driving it at the speed where the problem occurs.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Only that I was a mechanic myself many years ago, and have never come across this problem before.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Car
9/28/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

A speed related vibration at that speed is usually caused by a tire or wheel issue but it could also be runout in a hub. If the vibration is throttle sensitive then it's going to be a CV joint issue.

Did the problem start after an accident, after work was done, etc?

Does the vibration change or come and go with throttle input?

Tyres, wheels & Cv joints have all been double checked by my mechanic as not at fault. Vibration occurs at exactly 65mph when cruising without accelerating hard. It has been suggested that a gearbox or differential problem could be the cause. What is your opinion of that? Thanks.
Top suspension mounts and front tyres also just replaced.
Does the vibration come and go or change with throttle application?
No, it doesn't. If it is a gearbox or differential problem as has been suggested to me, why would the problem only occur at a specific high speed & not all the time it was being driven?

It's not a transmission or differential problem.

Exactly what was done to determine the tires and wheels were ok?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician