UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My daughter has a 1.4 Diesel Peugeot 2008 reg with approx…

Customer Question
Hello. My daughter has...

Hello. My daughter has a 1.4 Diesel Peugeot 2008 reg with approx 100000 miles. which is giving trouble starting.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?

Sorry I didnt meat to give such little details, pushed the return button by accident. the car was recent ly serviced. the problem started out with a faulty antipollution notice on the central dash. It would then take several attempts to start the car. the key was old and damaged so we have had thant replaced. It made no real difference . Recently the car went straigh to economy mode and would only start with a Jump cable connected, then straigh away it went. Put a new battery into it last night it started withing an attemt or two but not quiet first time. this morning it wouldnt start at all. It starts on a jump start.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 Peugeot?

I think its 1.4 HDI

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

207

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We have had it into 3 different mechanics. the first guy just cleared the fault from memory, the second guy wanted us to get the key repaired first which we diod then he went on holiday and the third garage had it for 3 days then said they could find the fault and asked us to come and take it away. I have a background in electrical engineering but not mechanical so we get mechanics to do the servicing. All the mechanics were registered garages not side of the road people.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: UK Car
9/26/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Kevin, UK Car Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic

Hi I'm Kevin il do my best to assist you . Do you have any of the faults that were listed in engine control system ?

No I'm afraid I dont.
What I find strange is once it starts you can turn it on and off no problem. Its just getting it to go the first time. You can even push start it which I thought you couldn't do with diesels?
Once running all warning lights vanish and the next time you start it doesn't register the anti pollution notice on the central dash. Also if we jump start it it goes pretty much immediately. Hence why I put in a new battery.
When the key is turned there is an audible click from the left side of the dash near where the BSI unit is located which i assume is the starter relay trying trying to click in. Only one click not a series of them. Once running it is perfect, no error messages or warning lights. My inclination is the starter motor but I wonder with Peugeot have they build in some sort of lock out if a sensor is activated?
Kevin, I see you are a VW/Audi technician. I was hoping for someone with specific experience of this particular fault on a Peugeot 207 Diesel. I know Peugeots are quirkey

I work on all vehicles daily I specialist in Audi /vw I'm happy to continue if you are

So when car doesn't start what happens exactly does car turn over at all ?

No, just a faint click from the left side behind the dash board. Nothing else.

Ok the first step here is to prove that the circuit is getting what it needs to start . The easiest option to rule out a whole load of items is to test directly at the starter . There are two terminals a large and a small . The large terminal is connected directly to the battery and as such should read the same voltage all the time . The small terminal is the important one . This will only show battery voltage when key is turned to start . If you have these and car isn't starting then the starter is the cause

Thanks Kevin. I really am not in a position to start a physical fault finding process following a series of steps like that. I believe even the starter is a bitch to get to with a ramp never mind trying to do it at home on a driveway. I dont want to have to do the work and we are prepared to pay a garage but having had it in to 3 different garages now without resolution I was hoping someone with specific experience on this issue with Peugeots could inform me of what to discuss when I bring it into the garage. Otherwise I feel I might end up having a whole heap of parts and labour charged just to track down the fault.As i said earlier I really had hoped someone who had dealt with this exact issue before could point to the problem straight away. I don't doubt your competence or ability but I think it needs someone with specific experience of Peugeots and solving this particular problem.
Thanks Kevin. I really am not in a position to start a fault physical fault finding process following a series of steps like that. I believe even the starter is a bitch to get to with a ramp never mind trying to do it at home on a driveway. I dont want to have to do the work and we are prepared to pay a garage but having had it in to 3 different garages now without resolution I was hoping someone with specific experience on this issue with Peugeots could inform me of what to discuss when I bring it into the garage. Otherwise I feel I might end up having a whole heap of parts and labour charged just to track down the fault.As i said earlier I really had hoped someone who had dealt with this exact issue before could point to the problem straight away. I don't doubt your competence or ability but I think it needs someone with specific experience of Peugeots and solving this particular problem.

Ok as I said I cover all European makes and models . Your fault isn't specific to Peugeot it's most likely the starter that's at fault . The garage will struggle to find issue if car is starting every time . The test I've given is basic diagnosis and yet the starter is difficult to access without a ramp . I will opt out but there may not be another tech online

Kevin
thanks for the input. Its just that having now had it into 3 garages, non Peugeot, but main dealers are thin on the ground where I live I hoped someone might have had this exact problem and could point out if there was something quirky going on. The biggest thing for me was why it was throwing up a fault indication about the antipollution filter before the first start but not after and why it was willing to start with jumper leads but very difficult without them? And why once we got it started it pretty much started every time after until it was let sit for a while. I thought they might be indicators of a specific issue that someone had already dealt with? I am sure if you had the car in front of you you would solve it.
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic