UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 Santa Fe.automatic. Speedo stopped working and can only…

Customer Question
2002 Santa Fe.automatic. Speedo...

2002 Santa Fe.automatic. Speedo stopped working and can only get high gear or reverse as it appears to be in 3rd gear when pulling away but is fine in reverse.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?

No noticeable fuel leaks but transmission fluid was low. it hs now been topped up. 14000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took it to a mechanic that said he topped up the transmission fluid and it seemed better. It wasn't

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Car
9/25/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 8 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

The speedo not working will for sure effect transmission shifting , it will not now to what gear it needs to go next with out signal from speedo , so this need addressed for sure and it done bu hooking up a capable scanner that can read Santa fe all modules not just basic code reader

now the fact fluid was Low ,means we have leak and being low and if was driven on it for extended period of time will burn out internal clutches so just by topping it off does not always fix the problem if internal damage occurred (The transmission pump seal is common failure , between engine and trans ,they need to check that for leaks )

I suggest the mechanic ,drain that fluid, run thru a funnel that has screen in it ,if the fluid was clean of any metal shavings ,I would replace and retest again

if it was full metal shavings then no need to waste money on new fluid ,it will need further tear down to see what failed internally.

But we still have the speedo problem, You need to know is it , the speed sensor , the wires, the IP panel ,can bus line , ect .The scan it will pull up a fault code # that we can pull up a pin point troubleshoot and based on that we can be accurate and not guessing and throwing parts at it, if you ge that ,post back here for me and i can help you further on it and be accurate

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat