UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an old bay that runs perfect,but after short journeys…

Customer Question
I have an old...

I have an old bay that runs perfect,but after short journeys once we have turned the van off and the restarted it stalls after 20secs of restarting it,we wait 20mins or so then it restarts fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

When driving

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

Type 2 1972

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Refurbished empi carb,electronic ignition

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes,when we first bought van the accelarator pedal didn't push down far so the carb wasn't opening properly,I've since fixed this with new linkage,also there seems to be oil dripping from hose to air filter ,is this normal

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Car
9/24/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

this sounds like a lack of fuel to me and the fuel pumps on these can sometimes fail internally so the fuel leaks pas the diaphragm and falls into the engine so not always easy to spot

so I'd suggest to check the fuel pressure on the carb feed line or you can do a delivery test

by putting the carb fuel line into measuring jug and remove the coil power wire then crank the engine for 30 seconds and then noting how much fuel you have in the jug as it should be at least 500ml

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

and the dripping oil hose means that the engine may be making a lot of blow-by due to worn rings - this isn't a major concern but its worth checking the oil condition and change it if its black

UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Mechanical Engineer