UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My Volvo V50 2D had anty-skid sevice required about 2 weeks…

Customer Question
My Volvo V50 2D...

My Volvo V50 2D had anty-skid sevice required about 2 weeks ago. Stopped the car, turned off and back on, drove for about 2 weeks fault came back. tried to do the same but didn't work and popped up "Break failier stop safely". Disconnected the battery, lef for 5 mins. car back to normal. I've done the service about 8 months ago including all break pads and break oil. Now I found oil level is below minimum. I am going to fill the break fluid now. please tell me what could be the problem? By the way milage is nearly 160000 and car is 55 plate.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? When was it last changed?

About 8 months ago when the new break pads done. thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your V50?

2005, 55 plate

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your V50 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I only turned off and on the engin but today I've disconnect and reconnected the battery and fault didn't appear. l've drove only a mile afterward.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Car
9/23/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are several things that will cause the ABS light to come on and it will require some testing to determine the cause of the problem.

The ABS light comes on when the ABS module sees a failure in a monitored component and sets a fault code. The problem could be anything from the brake switch to the module itself, wiring, the hydraulic control unit and pump motor, wheel speed sensors, the steering angle sensor or yaw sensor. The most common cause of an ABS light would be a bad wheel speed sensor.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool to see what fault codes have set in the ABS module and then testing can be done from there based on the findings.

If the brake fluid was low then the system needs to be checked for leaks and any leaks repaired before driving the vehicle again, if there is a leak it is a safety issue.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician