UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2011 Saab 95 and ESP warning light came on today.

Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a 2011 Saab 95 and ESP warning light came on today. Car had very little power and won't start. Battery replaced two months ago. Is this a common problem and or an easy fix ? Kenneth

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the light been on for some time?

No just today. Drove 400k yesterday without an issue. Car was quite noisy also.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 9-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not fixing myself at the moment. Fault just occurred today so haven't investigated any further

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Mo

9/21/2017
Peter Zavarelli

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This indicates a fault is detected with the electronic stability control in your model here.What needs to be done is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool/code reader that can plug into your vehicles data port and can read all computers to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set then need diagnosed to then locate and repair this fault.This can be a fault with a stability sensor like a wheel speed sensor or steering position sensor but there are several components that can fail and causes this issue here so the codes do need read out to locate and repair this fault.

The cost to have this diagnosed can run around $100.Repair costs will vary depending on what is found at fault but can range from $100 to over $500 in some cases.

It may just be low voltage again.YOu might try a jump start and if it starts have the battery and alternator tested and if found o.k. have a parasitic drain/draw test done to see if there is an electronic that is causing a battery drain issue in your vehicle needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Thanks Pete. It's reading 12.5V on the battery indicator but was slow to start once and now won't start at all. Also indictating that 'no remote detected'
Is this a sign of more serious issues with the electronic controls ? Car is a UK import to Ireland and my third 95 - never had an issue with the two older ones but this seems to have a plethora of ongoing faults.

Your welcome

Even though it has voltage it may not have enough amperage to allow the starter to engage or engage properly to turn over the engine.I would still have the battery and alternator tested for any issues and any issues found with any of these will need repaired.

If the battery and alternator are o.k. it is very possible this is an issue with a component like the electronic ignition switch needing replaced.I have seen ignition switch failure in the past before and had to replace it on several models vehicles.This would have to be checked into and tested further to locate which component is at fault.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Peter Zavarelli