UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 2008 is220d and chech VSC warning light, motor light…

Hey, i have 2008...

Hey, i have 2008 is220d and chech VSC warning light, motor light goes on and it went into limp mode. Can i just disconnect the battery if that will reset it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you happen to know the code? Have you tried to reset the computer?

No, how to i reset the computer?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 Lexus?

Is220d

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet, it just happened

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think thats it

9/20/2017
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

hello

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine

You can resetting the car by removing both battery leads and clamping them together for 10 mins as this will reset everything so if the light re-appears then the fault is still there.

Disconnect the battery cables and clamp them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together.

This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default.

This will reset all the systems on the car and you may need the radio security code to get it going again, and ensure that the keys are in your hand when you re-connect the battery as the car may lock and turn on the alarm

Matt, Mechanical Engineer