UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

1992 VW transporter 200,000 km has very excessive blue smoke

under partial accelerator going down...
1992 VW transporter 200,000 km has very excessive blue smoke under partial accelerator going down hill after very long uphill slog
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you been losing oil or coolant?
Customer: Arab engine
JA: What is the model of your '92 VW?
Customer: T4 transporter AAB engine
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: trying to diagnose. Removing air filter reduced smoke a bit. Air filter has less than 10,000 km on it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: doesn't burn oil to speak of.
Automatic transmission. AAB Diesel engine naturally aspirated. Not losing coolant or oil. Little or no blue smoke under no accelerator downhill or full throttle downhill. Starts very easily.
Worse when using engine braking
9/20/2017
Peter Zavarelli

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does this only occuring when going down hill after a steep hill climb?

Let me know,thanks Pete

only after a long steep hill climb.

Since your not losing any oil or coolant with this issue here this sounds like a fault with one or more fuel injectors allowing to much fuel into the engine.This is an excess build up of fuel in the exhaust that is burning off causing the smoke issue after a steep climb.I have seen injectors act up like this here in the past before and had to replace the faulty injectors for this issue here.

If you have not had the fuel injectors tested at all to see if any are faulty this needs to be done as I suspect at least one is at fault needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

excess build up of diesel fuel in one or more cylinders due to faulty injectors would manifest as definitely blue and not black smoke?

Blue is usually oil but if you are not losing any oil excess fuel can cause this smoke.Usually fuel is black but light amounts of excess fuel can be blue especially with diesel fuel.

I would have the injectors tested for any issues and if found to be o.k. then it would be a good idea to have the engine valve seals tested to make sure it is not leaking any oil past the valves and being burned into the engine but this does sound like an injector issue here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Last questions, could it also be caused by something to do with crankcase ventilation components, and if so is there an easy way to check?

I was thinking the same but usually if this is the case you would have engine running or stalling issues due to lack of the engine not being able to breathe/vent properly and the smoke would occur at all times.

It is very possible though.I dont show the components with this ventilation system.Usually you have a breather at the valve cover and possibly a valve at this breather that can clog.But it is a good idea to have the ventilation components checked and cleaned or any stuck valves replaced to be sure this isnt the cause here.

Thanks Pete

Peter Zavarelli
Thanks Peter, will let you know how it works out. Will give you 5 stars

Your welcome

If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete

Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli