UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

We have a 2007 Opel Astra and have had the P0401 code

diagnosed - is this harmful...
We have a 2007 Opel Astra and have had the P0401 code diagnosed - is this harmful to the car?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: We have reset it once and it has come back a fortnight later - the exact code is P0401/$07E
JA: Are you fixing your Astra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We were happy a fortnight ago when code disappeared - could get it reset again but don't want to cause damage to the car
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
9/19/2017
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Hello there,

If the engine appears to running ok, then it is only minor.

If and when it starts to run rough, the EGR valve assembly should be replaced.

Ive seen a few engines wear excessively from stuck open EGR valves.

Hope this helps you.

Gary

Thank you

The engine light may come and go, but the code will stay in history until it gets investigated further.

Hope this helps you.

Gary

Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician