UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2003 kia sonata which starts when cold but will not…

Customer Question
I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 kia sonata which starts when cold but will not start when warm

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

The car has been serviced to death oil change all filters replaced etc etc. The starter motor check generator checked etc etc, we connected a wire between the alternator and the battery 6 weeks ago and all was fine but has now gone back to its old ways

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I have used a good mechanic who has checked all connects etc etc

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/19/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 8 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

At time of no start , What are you losing Fuel or spark ?

get starting fluid ,spray in the intake when it is warm and does not start,when you spray does run & dies after few seconds?if it does we missing fuel ?

if it does not got to your coils and injectors , do you have power and do they have a pulsed ground coming from ecm ?

click on link to view ignition coils wiring diagram

If you do not mind me asking ,are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

Do you have a test light & or power probe for testing ?

Do you have a test light so we can check for spark ?

Do you have fuel pressure tester to check for fuel ?

Did you scan it with factory scanner or equivalent & faults retrieved ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

perhaps I had better explain
1 The sorento is a 2.5 diesel
2 All maintenance has been done ie filters oil change etc etcThe engine will start when it is cold and runs perfectlywhen it reaches running temperature it will not start until the engine is cold againThere are no lights showing that anything is wrong and besides the does not start everything is running perfectlywe connected a wire from the alternator to the battery six weeks ago and everything worked fine
but now it has gone bak to the original problemruns perfectly with no error lights but will only start from cold

i m sorry i have no diagrams for it

I will opt out of your question & open it for other experts to assist you further on it

UK Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that will cause a no start condition and it will require some testing at the time the problem is happening to determine what is going on for sure. If the problem is that it doesn't crank when hot then odds are you have a bad starter.

What specifically happens when trying to start it hot?

The Sorento turns over perfectly but will not start when up to temperature
The starter has been checked, the altenator has be checked
The sorento has a new battery.
All new filters oil change etc. fully serviced
When it starts from cold it is a little lazy and needs to turn a few times before it starts
When hot the starter turns the engine over but does not start
The are no lights showing once the car starts and runs as smooth as silk.

Have you checked for fault codes?

I brought it to a kia garage who checked it out and found no faults on there computer.
they changed the fuel filter.
when I try and start the car it turns over more than normal and then seems to start
when it is warmed up it will not start.
2 month ago we run a charge line outside the loom between the altenator and the battery.
the car started even when hot
When the wire was removed and the loom took over after we changed the connector on the altenator
The car started as normal for the last two months., then went back to its old ways!
The altenator has been removed and checked since then by qualified personnel
we tried puting the charge cable between the altenator and the battery back but this made no difference
we disconnect the wires on the altenator and when the car was cold it started.
we bypassed the ignition switch and started the car from the battery to the starter motor.
again this worked when the engine was cold but when the engine was hot.
when the engine is hot the engine turns over as normal but sounds like it is not getting any diesel.
I can tell you that the kia is automatic so it can not be jump started

Was the dealer not able to duplicate the problem?

Now the problem is fixed ie it starts when cold and will not start when hot and it happens every time
when I went to the Kia delaer it sometime started when it was warm so it was difficult to prove.
If you have no idea of the problem I will have to go back to the Kia dealer but they are very expensive and the Kia is 2003 although the mileage is only 130000 miles and everything on the vehicle works it has cruise control*****etc it has all the bells and whistles and everything work! except this ??? starter problem

The problem is going to need to be diagnosed in person at the time it is acting up. They're going to need to look at live scan tool data to begin to determine why it will not start.

I hope you are right but will go back to the kia garage and explain in detail and will let you know of the outcome
Great!
the sorento is going in to the kia garage on monday and they will check it i will be in contact with you after that
Great!
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician