UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2007 mini Saturday. When I go to start it it cranks…

Customer Question
I have a 2007...

I have a 2007 mini Cooper Saturday. When I go to start it it cranks and cranks and cranks and cranks and cranks and cranks but it all ways eventually starts and when it does start it runs as smooth as silk. Plenty of power it does not stall or hesitate. In a nutshell it runs perfect once it starts you just have to crank on it much longer than you should before it starts. I also have a yellow check engine light that periodically goes on and off. Any ideas what the problem could be? Thanks , Kevin Hicks. ***@******.***

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on, but it isn't all ways on. It's been suggested by a mechanic that it could be a week fuel pump.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just bought the car about a month ago, Soil haven't done anything but change the oil.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Car
9/18/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Robert, UK Car Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic

Hi..there..

Your mechanic could be correct..if the fuel pump check valve isnt holding pressure or the pump itself isnt performing as it should or the fuel pressure is allowed to leak back..then this can always cause a long cranking situation to occur during cold starts because the pumps building up pressure or pushing fuel upto the engine..until as such it eventually starts and then runs ok...what they'd need to do it perform a fuel presure test on the system with a guage..to monitor the pressure reading..so either at the fuel rail or if they have the correct fitting? directly at the feed line from the pump itself..they can eaither switch the ignition on or use a scan tool with bi directional control to toggle the fuel pump on and off..until the reading on the guage comes up and stops..then switch fuel pump off and monitor the guage and the pressure the pumps putting out..if it not enough or the needle drops then it likely the fuel pump unit at fualt..and will need replaced.along with a new fuel filter...as far as the engine light coming on goes..it could be seeing the low fuel pressure.or intermittent if the pumps dropping out slightly..scanning to see what the codes are might prove that..hope this helps

Robert
Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic