UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

I have a zafira with a z19dt rngine, with cold start

i have a zafira b...
i have a zafira b with a z19dt rngine, with cold start problems
i have replace piston rings, valve stem seals, thermostat, water temp sen, air flow, turno, glow plugs and glow plg relay. also starter mptpr and new battery.no codes come up and once warm enough it starts straight away.
what could be the reason
Answered in 2 days by:
9/19/2017
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

Id 1st try a compression test across all cylinders as they should all be within 10 -15 psi of each other

I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

i have done all above but compression test, i get an awfull lot of white somoke after 30 to 45 secs to start car, smells purly unburnt diesel. any other suggestions. i do how ever think it could be a leaky valve. i will do a check on the glow plugs when i get a dry day. the glow plug light only comes on for 2 to 3 secs then gose out no matter how cold it is.

Hello

OK thanks for the extra information if the cars is spewing white smoke then you're right its either unburnt diesel or coolant

if its not using coolant then it must be unburnt fuel so I'd this could be a stuck open EGR valve thats letting fuel into the exhaust

not losing water, how would i know if egr valve is stuck open, if it operates at all. i can check on this tomorrow afternoon

best test is to remove the valve and use a vacuum pump to see if it moves open and shut smoothly

this blog post goes into some detail

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/How-to-Test-an-EGR-Valve-A-Simple-Procedure

to be honest if you remove it and find its full of carbon then its a pretty reasonable chance its sticking

Hi
do you still need help?

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Matt, Mechanical Engineer