UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a HDi 90 406 which has firstly lost power then more…

Customer Question
Hi there, I have...

Hi there, I have a HDi 90 406 which has firstly lost power then more recently stated 'Anti Pollution Fault' Changed the diesel filter not long ago, any idea what is causing the problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Power loss is very consistent, starts and runs fine, but feels like it has about 2/3 the power it originally had

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '90 Peugeot?

406 HDi 90 2001

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes mostly myself though running out of ideas, started with fuel filter change - this was when the power loss started but before the fault showed up

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that's about it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: UK Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/16/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 11 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

This could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

I'd also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

If both of these are OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked

UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 10 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you