UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I HAVE A 2011 FORD TERRITORY 2.7 LT DIESEL. i have a cluster…

Customer Question
Hello! greetings! Mechanic's Assistant:...

Hello! greetings!

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

I HAVE A 2011 FORD TERRITORY 2.7 LT DIESEL. i have a cluster alarm on dash saying "DSC FAULT" Check Engine and Cruise control unavailable.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

No, i dont have an ECU ccode checker

Mechanic's Assistant: Not a problem. You can work with the Mechanic to figure that out. Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have sent it to ford, they tried ECU code reader and found nothing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This info should be fine. I am a mechanic so any suggestion would be ideal thank you

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Car
9/16/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

If the DSC light is staying on then this would indicate a fault with the system

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

However with ABS & DSC systems 99% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.
The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.
Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.
you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.

Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.
This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.

UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 12 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you