UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have just bought a Nissan Largo for a charity rally its a…

Customer Question
I have just bought...

I have just bought a Nissan Largo for a charity rally its a 1995 model. It feels like its stuck in second gear with high revs and the speedo stops and then starts to work for some reason. Can you help

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

I think so and yes the battery seams to start the engine ok, could this be a problem? it was stood for a while before I picked it up today

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

1995

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried nothing just trying to get an idea what to do

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Its very underpowered when pulling away, perhaps that's because its running in second gear

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Car
you have charged me £13 and I can not get an answer because your form wont accept my mobile number. Please tell me what to do or give me a refund
9/15/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

hello

do you have any check engine or other fault lights on?

I'd also suggest to check the level of the auto transmission fluid as there should be a dipstick

Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the dipstick tube if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Mechanical Engineer