UK Car

UK car repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Heathing blowing cold and skid light is on.. Imge shows car…

Customer Question
Heathing blowing cold and...

Heathing blowing cold and skid light is on..

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Imge shows car with two skid marks

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

Trasit short wheel base 2013

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Diesl

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing so far..we are driving home still got 5 hours to drive!

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: UK Car
Just checking someone is checking my question and I'll not be charged £22 without knowing?
9/15/2017
UK Auto Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 9 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

hello

to get the warning light with 2 skid marks then this means there's a fault with the ABS or DSC system which shouldn't effect the regular braking performance so the van is still safe to drive.

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

However with ABS and DSC systems 95% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.
The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.
Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.
you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.

Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.
This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Hello Matt,when I was asking the question we were driving the van and going in and out of signal as we're on a mountain pass. Five minutes of asking the question the engine cut out ! We had to get picked up with rescue vehicle to take van to garage. The garage repaired a leaking hose pipe and we got home but only just....there is some sort of problem but not sure what. It's losing water somewhere - none of the warning lights came on and the temp gauge is low even though engine over heating. We got home but only just...we had to keep stopping to fill up water and have the heater running hot to take pressure off engine. It's in the garage now but not sure what the problem is.
Your email went in my junk folder. I don't know what I've paid to whom? It was all quite a blur. Do I need to rate your answer and then you get paid or what's the story?

hello

the way the site works is you pay a deposit at the beginning and then I get paid once you rate my answer

for the van to be losing water with no signs of an external leak then if you have a tiny pinhole leak in a radiator then these often don't leak water but will lose water as steam ( steam molecules being small enough to pass through the hole where liquid cannot) take a look on the rad for any signs of localised corrosion and for areas that look like they've been 'steam cleaned'.

If all of this is OK it may be worth replacing the header tank cap as again you can lose coolant as steam if this is blowing off too early ( the cap should hold pressure of around 1Bar)

The other thing to try is a head gasket / block test kit as these take a coolant sample and analyse it for any signs of combustion gas - if present this would indicate the head gasket is on its way out

http://www.uktools.com/block-tester-p-12508.html

and finally I've used this stuff to seal up leaking systems to good effect

http://www.kalimex.co.uk/our-products/k-seal

Hi
do you still need help?