Lou P
Lou P, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  15+ years experience in the automotive field on all types of vehicles with access to diagrams and repair info.
27644750

My ML's engin light goes on. I had it at a dealer who has

Hi I am Elsa. My ML's engin light goes on. I had it at a dealer who has put it on the machine. Said something of the exhaust system and that I can travel that day long distance without damaging the vehicle. The car then when repeatly into limb mode. I then took the vehicle to another dealer in another town. They warned me that if the problem can not be pin pointed this can become a costly experience. Where do I start? Apparently there are a few filters that can be change without any outcome. Please give me some advise as where should I start?
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: the engine yellow light on the dashboard
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2011
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My car gets serviced on time by a registered Mercedez dealer. I had this problem prior to my last service. What they then do, they just reset the electronics and the light goes of.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am worried that this problem can hurt the engine or give me more problems at the end of the day. This is now happening daily Besides this I LOVE MY CAR

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Elsa when they checked your car they should have given you a printout of the issues and the codes, did they?

if you can get me that i can advise a lot better as to the issue .

Lou

Elsa I am here to help you but I need to know if you still need my help or not

thanks, Lou

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I did not receive the print ou. The techni only said that the problem was with the exhaust system
Ok Elsa thanks for the reply . There are many issues we have with the diesels and the exhaust treatment system if your model has that . I am not sure if models outside of the USA have the adblue system . But any time the car goes into limp mode it usually is not safe to keep driving . I can help tell you what the issue is but I need the Mercedes fault codes read from a Mercedes scan tool
Hooked to the diagnostic port under the dash. If you can get me the codes I can get you a good solid idea of what to do and what is happening . Thanks , Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may receive my credit for helping, 5 STARS is ideal. Please request me in the future! Keep in mind that when you rate it does NOT end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, THANKS! Lou P Master Mercedes-Benz Tech Master ASE Certified
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
please find the dynostic report

ok here is the issue. your filter for the exhaust is clogging and needs cleaned and or replaced if your area has companies that can clean them.

this is why the car is not driving well, the light bulb means that is what set the light off on the dash.

the car will be harder and harder to drive. you do need to have the exhaust filter replaced or cleaned. hope this helps, sorry you are having this issues, mercedes diesels are very costly to own :(

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may receive my credit for helping, 5 STARS is ideal. Please request me in the future! Keep in mind that when you rate it does NOT end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, THANKS! Lou P Master Mercedes-Benz Tech Master ASE Certified