UK Car

UK Car Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

UK Car

I have a Vauxhall Astra Twinport 1.6 (GX06RZO) which I

Hi I have a Vauxhall...
Hi I have a Vauxhall Astra Twinport 1.6 (GX06RZO) which I purchased in December last year which currently has a problem with the vehicle lacking power and causing the Exhaust Emissions light to come on. It has been in to garage who identified fault code 'P0304 Misfire Cylinder 4' and have done extensive investigations to identify the cuse but have been unable to do so and are recommending I take it to a Vauxhall dealership.
JA: Have you seen the misfire code before? Has the car been stalling?
Customer: ...sorry continued. Before doing this however I wanted to get some further advice, the garage are saying there may be a software update needed for the ECU, is this something you are aware of? I had a similar problem with the car back in January and it went in to Halfords who replaced the coil pack and it was fine after this, when the problem occurred again in June I took it back to Halfords who thought it as the coil pack again but this turned out not to be the case, they then suggested it was the head gasket so l I took it to another garage but they have ruled this out. The car does not stall but since the problem started again it does misfire occasionally - I am not driving it now.
JA: What year is your Astra?
Customer: The reg is GX06RZO
JA: Are you fixing your Astra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have no mechanical knowledge so will need to take it to a garage but am really looking for advise about the software update suggested or any other possible causes as I don't want to book it in and spend a lot of money investigating it unless they have some idea of the cause.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The only other thing to mention about the car is uses up oil rapidly on long journeys but I understand this may be something Vauxhalls are prone to.
9/11/2017
Peter Zavarelli

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

There is a software update for a valve issue which I believe is the exhaust valve which can cause a misfire or rough running.Not all models this update applies to and the only way to find out is to allow a dealer to look at and try and perform this update.This is usually about an hours charge at a dealer.

The other issue is a worn spark plug damaging the coil with both the plug and coil needing replaced.This needs checked into if this has not been done yet.

If this is o.k. and the update is not available for your specific model or the update is done and the issue continues then you will want to have a cylinder compression test done to make sure this isnt damage in the engine like a burned valve and fuel injectors tested to see if the #4 injector needs cleaned or replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Thank you for response Pete, I have only been able to view it now as there was a problem setting up my account when I posted the question so I didn't think it had even gone through but that has been sorted out now.To update you on the latest position I did take the car to a Vauxhall dealership and they didn't think an update was needed, it states on the invoice 'checked for latest SPS and software up to date'. They tried out a GM coil pack and spark plugs and told me that the problem was reduced by 50%, there was no misfire on idle but it still occurred on driving but advised the car ran much better and the Exhaust Emissions Light did not come on. They also fitted a new crank sensor. On the basis the car was much improved I took it away however within 5 minutes the light came on again and I had exactly the same problem as before - if anything the performance felt even worse. I went straight back to them and got them to put the original coil pack back in and got a refund for the one they fitted.Even so I am now £200 worse off with the car in the same position as before and I am not sure what to do next so any further advice would be appreciated. In answer to the points you raised the previous garage did do a compression test as part of their checks and it showed 200 psi on all cylinders. They also fitted a new no. 4 injector.The Vauxhall garage are suggesting it could be valve problem or wiring issue which would involve investigating the engine. I definitely won't be going back to them but wondered if this could be possible? It sounds like it might be expensive so if I find another local garage that I trust to look into it I would need to get some idea of the costs first.With regard to the vehicle needing to be topped up with oil on long journeys it was suggested this could indicate a problem with the piston rings so I wondered this could also cause a misfire?I'm really not sure what to about the car now. I've only had it for 9 months but it has cost me a lot of money so far and it looks like I will have to a fair bit more to get it fixed. It's done 92,00 miles but I paid £1500 for it and would have expected it to last a lot longer than this.

It is very possible there is valve damage for the cylinder that is misfiring.They need to do a running compression test.With the engine running testing one cylinder at a time.The compression should be about half of what you have above for compression.If you find the cylinder that is misfiring is 10 to 15 psi or more lower then the others then this can indicate a valve issue which can involve some expensive repair work in some cases.In some cases even a leak down test will help to pinpoint a faulty valve.I would have this tested/checked into next since everything else is o.k. as I do suspect your looking at a bad valve.You may be looking at around $1500 for the repair in some cases.

It is possible that the oil adding is related.If the oil ring on the piston is worn it can cause oil to bypass it and end up in the compression area which can cause a misfire.I would inspect the spark plug for the misfiring cylinder and see if it is all gunked up as this can indicate oil build up from this issue here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Peter Zavarelli
Thank you for your response Pete.From what you say it does look as though it could be a valve issue and I have identified a couple of garages that have good reviews so I will speak to them about looking into the problem and running the checks you have recommended. If I can get a positive identification of the cause of the misfire and some idea of the repair cost I can then make a decision on what to do next.Regarding the oil issue I haven't got a tool to remove the spark plug in question to check it but both the Vauxhall garage and the previous one did change the spark plugs so I would have thought they would have noticed if one of them was gunked up, however I will get this looked at as well when I book it in.Appreciate your help on this issue, at the moment I don't have any further questions for you on it but if something does come up am I still able to send another reply?

Your welcome

I hope they can locate and repair this with ease.

Feel free to come back here and reply as much as needed anytime.

Thanks Pete

Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli